Friday, June 8, 2012

Thai Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin soup and Pea & Ham soup are Winter staples in our home.  Yesterday was supposed to be shopping day but I wanted to do some work around the house so we had a Happy Home Day instead.  Which meant finding something quick and easy for tea.  This was so easy and super yummy and seriously inexpensive so I thought I'd share, perfect for the arrival of Winter.

Thai Pumpkin Soup



I just googled for a recipe and thanks to allrecipes.com.au I found this...

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 10g butter
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 4 brown shallots, chopped
  • 2 small fresh red Thai chilli, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
  • 4 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
  • 1 cup fresh baby basil leaves
Preparation method
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 20 minutes

Lemongrass is available fresh or already chopped in a jar.  We are lucky enough that it grows in our herb patch along with the chilli's.  The coconut milk added a yummy flavour.  I'm not a fan of basil although we have copious amounts of both the regular and Thai basil, so I used the coriander we have growing.

I usually serve in bread bowls but I found some dinner rolls in the freezer and used those.

I also didn't use a blender, I just let it cook until it was super soft and used the potato masher instead..less washing up

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry here. New to your blog - love it!! I use my stick blender for soups. I put it straight in the saucepan! Saves on washing up. Just make sure you sit it on the bottom and move it around...while still touching the bottom (so the soup doesn't fly around your kitchen). The soup will work through and blend nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry and welcome, glad you like it. Thanks for the tip..I've had a few mishaps with the stick blender..I never put it deep enough into the soup and I do wear it..so I use the potato masher haha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment x